Agriculture

Six-year-old child dies after Strep A outbreak at school

A six-year-old primary school pupil has died amid a strep A outbreak, leaving the community in “shock”. According to the report in The Independentthe death was confirmed by Dr Claire Windslade, a health consultant for the UK’s South East Health Agency.

In an email sent to his parents, which was obtained by the PA news agency, a first-grade student at Ashford Church of England School contracted invasive group A streptococcal infection (iGAS). The email said: “It is with deep regret and sadness that I have to inform you that a first year Tiger child has sadly passed away after developing Invasive Group A Streptococcus (IGAS).

“We also know that a child in Grade 2 contracted the same illness but is showing positive signs of recovery.” The school said the news had come as a “shock” to the whole community and that staff were seeking advice from Public Health England about what action to take and what advice they should give to parents.

Surrey County Health director Ruth Hutchinson said: “We are deeply saddened by the death of a pupil at Ashford Church of England School and offer our deepest condolences to their family, friends and the entire school community, who are in our thoughts.”

In accordance with Government website, Group A Streptococcus (GAS; Streptococcus pyogenes) is a bacterium that can colonize the throat, skin, and anogenital tract. It causes a variety of skin, soft tissue and respiratory infections including tonsillitis, pharyngitis, scarlet fever, impetigoerysipelas, cellulitis and pneumonia.

In rare cases, patients may develop post-streptococcal complications such as rheumatic fever and glomerulonephritis. GAS can sometimes cause very severe infections. Invasive GAS (iGAS) is an infection in which a bacterium is released from a normally sterile area of ​​the body, such as the blood. Any manifestation of GAS can be associated with the development of streptococcal toxic shock syndrome, although in patients with necrotizing fasciitis exposed to the greatest risk.

GAS spreads through close contact between people, through respiratory droplets, and through direct skin contact. It can also be transmitted in the environment by contact with contaminated objects such as towels or bedding, and by eating food contaminated by the carrier. If similar symptoms appear, call 111 immediately.

https://www.farminglife.com/read-this/strep-a-outbreak-school-confirms-six-year-old-pupil-dies-following-illness-leaving-community-in-shock-3931328 Six-year-old child dies after Strep A outbreak at school

Back to top button