Defence

Prince Andrew to Resolve Sexual Abuse Case, Donates to Charity | National



British Prince Andrew is seen in this photo in London on April 5, 2015. A preliminary settlement was reached in a lawsuit accusing Prince Andrew of sexually abusing Virginia Juffre when she was 17, according to a Manhattan trial on Tuesday, February 15, 2022.


Neil Hall / PA via AP


NEW YORK (AP) – British Prince Andrew has agreed to satisfy a lawsuit filed by Virginia Juffrey, who said she sexually trafficked British royal financier Jeffrey Epstein when she was 17 years old.

The deal, described in a court statement Tuesday in New York, avoids a lawsuit that would bring the monarchy further embarrassment. He urges the prince to make a substantial donation to the charity of his accuser, but he never wanted to tarnish her character.

Lawyer David Boyce, representing Giuffre, informed the judge hearing the case in New York that an agreement in principle had been reached, and lawyers for both sides would petition to dismiss the lawsuit within a month.

Andrei’s lawyer did not immediately return the message with a request to comment.

A letter signed by Boyce states that all lawyers are asking the judge to suspend all deadlines and adjourn the case.



Epstein-Prince-Andrew

FILE – Virginia Roberts Juffrey holds a press conference near the Manhattan court after the death of Jeffrey Epstein in prison on August 27, 2019 in New York. A preliminary settlement was reached in a lawsuit accusing Prince Andrew of sexually abusing a 17-year-old American, according to a lawsuit on Tuesday, February 15, 2022.


AP Photo / Bebeto Matthews, file


Juffre sued Andrew in August. The American accused the British royal person of sexual abuse when she traveled with financier Jeffrey Epstein.

People also read…

Andrew resolutely denied Juffre’s accusations and tried to get the lawsuit dismissed.

A statement was attached to Boyce’s letter stating: “Virginia Juffrey and Prince Andrew have reached an out-of-court settlement.

“Prince Andrew intends to make significant donations to Ms. Jufre’s charity in support of victims’ rights. Prince Andrew never intended to discredit Mrs. Juffrey’s character, and he admits that she suffered both as a constant victim of abuse and as a result of unjust public attacks. “

According to the statement, Prince Andrew acknowledged that Epstein had traded “many young girls” for many years, and said the prince “regrets his relationship with Epstein and appreciates the courage of Ms. Juffrey and other survivors defending himself and others.” ».

He also promised to support victims of sex trafficking to show their regret.

A preliminary settlement came weeks after Judge Lewis A. Kaplan last month dismissed the prince’s attempt to seek early dismissal of the lawsuit, meaning a gathering of testimony and other evidence could begin.

After Kaplan ruled, Andrew – who had already resigned from the royal ranks – was deprived of honorary military ranks and roles and leadership of various charitable organizations known as royal patronages. He also can no longer use the title “His Royal Highness” in official terms.

This decision was an attempt to isolate the Windsor House from the effects of potentially perennial nasty headlines as the costume moves forward.

“With the Queen’s approval and consent, the Duke of York’s military supplies and royal patronage have been returned to the Queen,” the palace said, using the prince’s official title. “The Duke of York still does not assume any government responsibilities and defends the case as a private citizen.”

The move came after more than 150 veterans and military personnel asked the Queen to strip her second son of military titles, saying he did not meet “the highest standards of honesty, integrity and honorable conduct” expected of British officers.

Juffre claimed that she met Andrew when she frequently traveled with Epstein between 2000 and 2002, when her lawyers claimed that she was “on call for Epstein for sexual purposes” and was “lent to other powerful people”, including Andrew’s number. Her lawsuit states that she continues to experience significant emotional and psychological suffering and harm.

Andrew has repeatedly denied Juffre’s accusations and said he does not remember ever meeting her.

Andrew served in the Royal Navy for two decades, including as a helicopter pilot during the 1982 Falklands War. Honorary military roles he lost included several overseas, such as his rank of Commander-in-Chief of the Royal Zealand Royal Logistics Regiment.

He spent years struggling with concerns about his ties to Epstein, an American financier who took his life at the age of 66 in 2019 in a federal dungeon in Manhattan, awaiting trial on charges of sexually trafficking children. Epstein’s longtime companion Gislen Maxwell was convicted on relevant charges last month.

The Associated Press typically does not identify people who say they have been victims of sexual violence unless they choose to publicly declare it as Juffrey.

This was announced from London by Associate Press writer Danica Kirk.

https://fremonttribune.com/news/national/prince-andrew-to-settle-sex-abuse-case-donate-to-charity/article_c2f61e98-c7af-5189-85c6-96c07e1ccd57.html Prince Andrew to Resolve Sexual Abuse Case, Donates to Charity | National

Back to top button